Work With Young People In An Online Enviornment


After viewing "Build A School In The Cloud", the Ted Talk from Sugata Mitra, I had many thoughts rush over me.  Why are teachers even in a classroom?  Is what we do meaningless?  Can a computer teach students?  I had A LOT of questions.  But as I began to think about the questions some more, I inherently knew the answers to all of these questions.

Schools were created over three hundred years ago by the British Empire.  The technology back then, as mentioned by Mitra was the bureaucratic machine.  It was technology built by people.  If you were able to read and write, had neat handwriting and were able to add, subtract, multiply and divide...you could be a part of something bigger than yourself.

Technology has changed throughout the years as have the ways that we use technology.  My technology growing up in the late 70's and early 80's was vastly different than the technology that is used today.  That said, people find a way to adapt with the times.  It's sort of like Darwin, adapt or turn into a dinosaur and die.

Mitra showed numerous examples of students using computers for prompts and guidance, but then ultimately doing the work on their own.  The collaboration between students in the classroom was fascinating and what all of us strive for in our own classrooms.  He explained that his idea of what a classroom should look like is SOLE (Broadband + Collaboration + Encouragement and Admiration).

Most of us know what broadband and collaboration look like in a classroom, but what does encouragement and admiration look like.  This is where teachers will never be obsolete.  Students need teachers to make connections, to be encouraged, to help them feel supported.  You can have all the technology in the world, but if you are unable to make meaningful connections with your students, they will only be able to progress so far.  I think of the analogy that we watched recently when Sir Ken Robinson spoke about Death Valley and about how everything wasn't dead, it was dormant.  

If we don't support and encourage our students, their learning will lie dormant.  When we water the seeds that we plant in young people's minds...that is when true learning can happen and they can grow.

Comments

  1. Brian, I also had so many questions running through my head about my job, my purpose. My anxiety was high, but then as I listened I realized this is the type of classroom that students flourish in. The type of classrooms where mistakes are made, risk is taken, collaboration is visible and students are striving to find the answers to the big questions. You make a great point that “If we don't support and encourage our students, their learning will lie dormant.” It’s our job to spread sunlight and let them bloom into the journey of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I was also questioning how schools are run! It was interesting to listen to the study Mitra conducted. I also liked how he knew the importance of having a person to encourage learning. I think back to the grading system as well because it can be discouraging to students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I really appreciate the journey of this post--beginning with narrating your concerns about your purpose to ending with redefining that purpose is fulfilling to read (likely because I too had some of the same feelings you expressed here while watching this TED Talk). I also appreciate your connection to Robinson--I had not made this connection yet on my own (instead I connected this source to Wesch) but now that you have done so, I can clearly see it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian,
    I loved your honestly in the questions you asked at the beginning of your blog! I was also experiencing the same questions and worries, but as I got further into the TED Talk, the concepts began to make more sense. This is an environment where students are the driving force behind their education, a place where they can take the lead, make meaning of their own learning, and grow as learners! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What We Learned From Baby George...

Aidan's Cell Phone