Brainstorming...

I believe that students learn from people that they like.

I believe that connections (or relationships) are the entry point for learning.

I believe that classroom management becomes easier when there are connections with home and students feel as though there are consequences for their actions.

I believe that students need to feel loved.

I believe that students need encouragement and praise.  

I believe that students thrive when given safe spaces to work.

I believe that each student is different and that we (as educators) need to try to understand these differences and scaffold as much as possible.

I believe that learning should be fun.

I believe that learning should be challenging.


My final project is going to be about using technology to build stronger relationships with families.  I have a website where my personal portfolio sits, so I am going to create a page every year for my class.  I will post student work, videos, photos, Student of the Month, etc., while also posting resources that could be of use for families at home.  I may have all the text in Spanish also (as all of my MLL students were Spanish speaking this past year).  I will also start a blog that I update weekly to summarize the week and discuss any upcoming events.

I have been thinking about doing this for a year or so, but never got around to doing it.  There always seems to be too much other stuff to do.  This final project may give me the push to do it.

If I build out the website this summer, I can begin to populate with content from Day 1 of the year.

That is the hope.

Comments

  1. Family Involvement is so important to a student's learning. There is that feeling of welcomeness, accountability, and ownership to the learning . I can't wait to see your presentation and the tech tool you use to support your beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I am also planning to take this route. Like you, **the goal** is to use the rest of this summer to create a site that is ready day one of school so that my students (and their caregivers) can get to know me and have a medium to communicate with me. I took a peek at your current site and it is pretty impressive--I never thought of marketing myself this way (outside of the typical one page resume)--perhaps this is another area of improvement I can consider for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What We Learned From Baby George...

Work With Young People In An Online Enviornment

Aidan's Cell Phone